- What is medical insurance?
- Why is it important?
- When should I get medical insurance?
- What are the types of medical insurance available?
- What should I look out for when picking a medical insurance policy?
- What are the costs involved?
- How do I choose what medical insurance to buy?
- Additional things to look out for
- Additional resources
Additional things to look out for
- Know your claims procedure
You should always be aware of your insurer’s claims procedure. You might need to check with the insurance company if a particular treatment is covered by your policy. You might also need to get your doctor to fill up and sign off on a claims form. Some hospitals may also have agreements with your insurance company to get your medical bills paid directly by the insurer.
- Be accurate when filling out your forms
Your policy may be terminated or cancelled if your insurance provider spots inaccuracies or important medical information that you intentionally left out (non-disclosures) when you first provided your information to them.
- Buy your insurance from a licensed insurance agent or broker
You can purchase a medical insurance policy through a licensed insurance agent or broker. But make sure you do your homework carefully before making a decision. Don’t just rely on the advice of the insurance agent as they are trying to sell a product to you and make a commision from it.
Read our article on Practical Advice for more help and guidance.